Monday, May 16, 2011

The beauty and the beast of being a backpack journalist.

Scroll down for video samples.

Before and after pictures on PhotoPeach



It is a trend that it is not going away; new technologies are transforming not only the way that we can get the news, but also the way that we gather the news. This change is very tangible in television newsrooms where one man band reporters are becoming more popular.

Just recently I was asked to leave the news producer desk to work as a backpack journalist. The idea of going back on the field was very exciting; it brought back good memories of the time that I had spent working as a reporter. But it also made me feel vulnerable; I lacked experience using the camera, I didn’t know my way around Dallas-Fort Worth, and I really didn’t have many contacts to reach out to when working on stories.

A few months have passed now and I feel glad that I took up on the challenge; it has been very rewarding. A lot of people have asked me, how do you do it? So I decided to write about it.

This is my take on the beauty and the beast of being a backpack reporter.

THE BEAUTY

• Rewards:
I never thought that being a one man band would be so rewarding. It is very satisfying to be able to produce a news story that that traditionally would have taken a team of two to three people to get done. I have found that the effort is really appreciated; I have received positive feedback from managers, colleagues, people that I have interviewed, and viewers.

• Discipline:
To be able to fulfill the demands of being a one man band you have to become more organized, productive, and practical. Discipline will allow you to achieve more with the resources that you have. The impact of being disciplined will go beyond the newsroom; it will also help you to be more organized and successful in your personal life.

• Value:
You are highly regarded in the newsroom because of your ability to get the job done by yourself; with more video journalists newsrooms are able to produce more content. Being able to multi task also makes you a more valuable and marketable candidate than one that is only able to report, shoot or edit.

• Technology:
Video journalists are usually provided with small video cameras and laptops. Not having to carry heavy equipment is a big advantage: it is less tiring and allows you to have more mobility.

THE BEAST

• Fear:
Getting out on the field all by your self is intimidating. During my first weeks I had nightmares about not getting good audio on my interviews, or showing up to an interview without a tape, or not having the story ready by the deadline. I was also afraid of what other reporters or photographers would think of me. Would they look down on me for being a one man band? Fortunately my fears didn’t last long; I have found that most people get impressed by your ability to get the job done all by yourself.

• Time:
As news video journalist there is always something heavy on your mind: the deadline. The race against time begins the moment you get your assignment, and it is only on you to make it happen. You have to set up interviews, drive to the location, shoot, write, edit and deliver the story on time. Getting all these tasks done on time will always be a challenge; the good news is that the more you do it, the faster you get.

• Creativity:
Sometimes working by yourself limits your ability to be creative. For instance, it is just impossible to add movement to your shots while you record a stand up. You can utilize the elements available in the background to compose more interesting shots. Also, you can add movement by walking towards the camera as you deliver your lines.

Being a video journalist is a challenging job that comes with many rewards. In my experience the key for being successful is embracing the challenge. If you believe that you can do it, you will do it.

Check out some examples of my backpack reporter stories on: www.telemundodallas.com
COSTOSO ERROR
SERIAS ACUSACIONES
SUEÑOS TRUNCADOS
QUEJAS EN APARTAMENTOS

No comments:

Post a Comment